Spring is calling! And it’s screaming at you to clean your make-up brushes! With the start of spring and the seasonal tradition of spring-cleaning, I thought it would be appropriate to share some of my #HAZtips on how I clean and maintain my make-up brushes.
Now before I get all Spring-Cleaning-Fairy-Godmother on y’all, let’s be real – is this not the hardest routine to maintain?! We all hate it, but lets face the facts! There is so much makeup buildup, oil, dirt, dust and god knows what trapped in an unclean brush, and unless you keep up with cleaning and maintaining your makeup brushes, you’re rubbing it all back into your skin risking breakouts and blemishes! At this point does it really matter what your skincare routine is?
I do use a daily cleanser when I need to. I love MAC’s Brush Cleanser. However, using a daily cleanser is not enough! I have to admit I use to be so bad at giving my brushes a deep clean on a regularly basis until I purchased the Sigma Spa Brush Cleaning Mat. This, plus a few other products and tips, has helped tremendously in really giving my brushes a deep clean while making the process so easy to maintain on a regular basis. So, let’s roll-up those sleeves and get to work!
You will need:
- Sigma Spa Brush Cleaning Mat
- Any dish soap to act as a disinfectant (I prefer unscented)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- A small bowl
- Small towel
- A large towel
- Disinfectant wipes
- Pour the dish soap into the small mixing bowl.
- Add a little bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to create the complete mixture. HAZ Tip: EVOO works great on breaking down makeup buildup and helps recondition bristle hairs!
- Take your brush and run only the bristles under lukewarm warm.
- Then stir your brush in a circular motion in the mixture.
- Using your Sigma Spa Brush Cleaning Mat, lather the mixture well into the brush.
- When you are ready to wash out the mixture, run lukewarm water over your Sigma Mat and move your brush in a circular motion.
- Repeat Steps 4-6 until the water runs clear from your makeup brush.
- When the brush is fully clean, use your small towel to squeeze excess water from your brush. You can also use the towel to reshape the bristles.
- Lay the brush on the larger towel to dry overnight.
- Don’t forget to clean your Sigma Mat as well! Rinse with lukewarm water and leave to dry.
- Many people stop there and forget a really important step! Cleaning the makeup brush handle! It’s not obvious, but germs and bacteria also live on the handle. I like to use disinfectant wipes to clean the handles.
Do you have a beauty blender? It’s really easy to clean!
- Dap the entire beauty blender into the mixture.
- Roll the beauty blender onto your Sigma Mat or between your hands for a deep clean.
- Periodically squeeze the beauty blender so that the product seeps out.
- Rinse under lukewarm water while continuing to squeeze the beauty blender.
- Repeat steps as needed.
HAZ Tip: Want to take this one step further? Do you ever notice that the labeling on your makeup brushes fades away with time? Apply a coat of clear nail polish to protect the labeling. This information will be useful when you are ready to replace your favorite brushes in the future!
One last step in cleaning and maintaining your brushes is the storage unit. The best way to store makeup brushes is by using some sort of closed storing container. I bought my from the Container store. You want to keep your brushes hidden to avoid dust build up after putting all that hard work in cleaning your brushes. Also, don’t forget to wipe your storing device clean as well. Germs and bacteria can transfer from unclean makeup brushes that are being stored. I like using disinfectant wipes to clean my storage container.
Do you have a different routine? Comment and let me know!